Springsteen Week Part 3

My life changed on September 24, 1984.

That was when I saw Bruce in concert for the first time. I was with my brother John and high school friends Tom and Kellie.

Bruce was a force of energy back then - they played 30 songs and around midnight he asked if we wanted another song. 

The answer was a resounding yes and he reminded us that we had to work tomorrow but it was our responsibility.

The next day I was back at college and life just felt different. He brought us up, down and back up again. He spoke about living life right and being a decent human. His show was about inclusion. His interaction with Clarence showing us all that all were welcome and all were included and that no matter how sad life can get, there is hope.

It was a feeling I would spend the next 40 years chasing.

I’ve seen Springsteen in Baltimore, Washington, Cleveland, Rochester, Pittsburgh, Albany, Toronto, Saratoga Springs, Fenway Park, On Broadway, New Jersey, Long Island and of course, Buffalo a whole bunch of times.

There isn’t a song that I’m hoping he plays on Thursday - unless he goes into the Western Stars record - I would love to hear all of that.

But it’s about way more than the shows.

I’ve seen Bruce with every member of my family except my sister Corinne.

I’ve seen him with college buddies - Fluffy and Rosie, with high school buddies, Tom, Kellie and JC and Pops.

I’ve seen him alone 3 times.

Went with my brothers John and Jim in New Jersey during the worst year of our lives because Jeff wasn’t with us - Bruce played Jeff’s favorite song - American Land - to close that show.

I saw Bruce the night after Kathy told me that she was pregnant with our first boy - Bruce spent a good twenty minutes during that show telling us how wonderful fatherhood could be.

We watched from the 4th row as he performed on Broadway. I thought a lot about my Dad during that show and Bruce spoke of losing his Dad.

A sob got stuck in my throat as he spoke of his Dad’s death.

So, you see, he has spoken of country, love, loss, death, eternal life and happiness, and he timed it as an operator’s manual of sorts.

And I’m not alone.

Those concerts are absolute testaments to thousands who are on their feet for more than 3 hours each night.

And I took Kathy to her first Bruce show on that night in 1996 - 24 hours after she told me she was pregnant. She hadn’t seen Bruce before.

She enjoyed his music but couldn’t understand why I wanted to watch him show after show after show.

She has now seen him about 20 times.

When we are searching for tickets she says one thing over and over:

“We need to get closer!”

Kathy isn’t going to be able to attend the show tomorrow, but there will most likely be a chance to go to Syracuse or other cities to witness this tour.

24 hours away!

Bruuuuuuuuuccccceeeee!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie