“Have A Blessed Day”

A few years ago I had lunch with the owner of a decent-sized company and he said:

“Piece of advice for you. Have lunch by yourself in a restaurant every few weeks or so. It will get you away from work and allow you to breathe a little.”

I decided that Thursday was the day for that. Been a crazy week.

I stopped at a good Chinese place and was seated at a booth behind 3 older women. One of the women was in mid-story.

“So, I was laying in bed. I never sleep more than 4 hours a night, so I prayed a little and then I drifted off. I was caught in that place between being asleep and awake and I swear to you, Jesus spoke to me.”

I waited for the other two women to bust her chops about making such a statement but they were all sort of agreeing with her vision.

“I’ve felt that too,” on woman said. “It’s possible if you’re open to His presence.”

I just wanted to dip my egg roll into the awesome hot sauce and eat in silence, but I HAD to hear the end.

What advice did Jesus give this woman?

“Jesus was concise,” she said. “He told me to search for peace in my heart.”

“Amen,” one of the other women said.

“Hallelujah,” said the other.

Jesus had visited all three women, evidently.

Thankfully my food showed up.

I started in on it, but then their food arrived.

“Shall we pray over this?”

I don’t even know why she asked.

All three women worked on the prayer, each one finishing the previous ones sentences.

They mentioned the entries by name as if Jesus might come down and have a little if he found it appetizing.

Jesus didn’t show.

They were a little quieter as they ate, but they spoke almost exclusively about God.

“It’s our job to spread the word,” the first woman said. “I wish I had more courage to just mention the good word to every stranger I see.”

I certainly wasn’t in the mood!

I finished my lunch and got up to leave. One of the women looked straight at me and I smiled.

“Make sure you have a blessed day,” she said.

“You too,” I said.

Yet, I laughed on the way to my car because I thought of what I might have been prone to say just to shock the hell out of them.

But I behaved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie