Village Idiots

 “People talk too much. People think too much. We are all village idiots too enamored by our shadows, oblivious to the setting sun.”

That was a quote in the excellent series, ‘In Plain Sight’ that stars Mary McCormack.

We watched the series in its entirety when it came out, and recently, we started watching it again.

First, it’s amazing how much television we forget. We recalled the basic frame of the series, but individual episodes were as if we were watching them for the first time.

And then Mary dropped that quote.

I heard it clearly.

Wow.

‘People talk too much’.

I find that first sentence to be unbelievably true. Just mindless banter back and forth. I don’t exchange a whole lot of small talk. I hate talking on the phone. When someone tells me their problems my mind glosses over.

Less words!

‘People think too much.’

I am guilty of that one for sure. I overthink everything and I spend too much time stuck to a schedule of my own making.

‘We are all village idiots enamored by our shadows’

Yep.

Our lives are so important. We’re so self-involved. That’s why we are all chasing something on social media.

Or writing a daily blog.

‘Oblivious to the setting Sun’

Life is finite.

We may all be missing it as we spend our time…

…talking too much, thinking too much, and basking in our own shadows.

And yet, what is there to do about it?

People have been living the same way for centuries.

We will go on…

…our merry…

…idiotic way.

Until the sun sets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie