“I Beg You to Listen”

I’ve done a lot of OSHA 10-hours through the years.

Way back, while sitting in such a class myself, I listened to a teacher who made the class fun and exciting. The old guy had a wonderful sense of humor and he told stories that had an impact.

I decided to teach that way.

And while doing so many classes I’ve worked out a script of sorts. I speak about the sad, sad stories through the years and I punctuate a lot of what I talk about by picking on myself.

One of my greatest hits is about getting the kids pool down in the garage and how I had the choice of putting up a heavy extension ladder or using the short cut of jumping from a stepladder set on a picnic table.

I went with the short cut.

My wife stopped me just before I jumped by asking:

“What in the f**k are in you doing, safety boy?”

 Big laughs.

Yet, I also speak about the impact of loss on families and how truly devastating a fall can be - even one that is only 6’ above the ground.

I end each class by telling a story of a young man who lost his life by falling 30’+ through a hole that he had made by removing a cover.

There’s silence in the room when I tell that story.

I end it by saying:

“I used to do this class and ask you all to take what I’m saying out there with you. After doing this for 32 years, I ain’t asking anymore. I’m begging you. Listen to me. All the guys who’ve been lost are ugly bastards just like you. I don’t want to deal with it anymore.”

The guy who passed away this week heard that talk.

For some reason, he didn’t listen.

Hard to shake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie