The Slap

I don’t watch the Oscar’s.

I think that awards shows are pretentious and self-serving.

The only thing I enjoy about the show is the comedian ripping on everyone sitting there.

Ricky Gervais was particularly brutal in his assessment of Hollywood elites…

…so he wasn’t asked back.

Chris Rock got the job, and he’s one of my favorites. Rock is always great in interviews and his stand-up is edgy and great.

We all know what sort of a comedian he has been for about 30 years.

He told a joke about Jada Pinkett Smith. Evidently he hit a nerve because she has a medical condition. She got upset evidently and then, so did her husband.

I watched the uncut version from a Japanese feed and it’s pretty disturbing in real time.

Will Smith got up, walked onto the stage and slapped Rock. He returned to his seat and screamed “Keep my wife’s name outta your f****ng mouth” twice.

Disturbing.

Now, believe it or not, I’ve been in Rock’s spot on stage. I’ve done a number of speeches where I was hired to be funny.

The people who hired me (and who still hire me) know exactly what I bring to the job.

“Make it interesting for my employees and make them laugh.”

I’ve had a couple of instances where a joke I told fell flat and instantly angered someone in the audience. I spun out of it, and usually headed right back at them in an attempt to win them over.

In recent years I’ve found myself censoring some of the jokes and much of the language.

I also love the art form.

Being funny isn’t easy.

Chris Rock can teach a master class on it, and sometimes he drifts close to a line that can be considered insensitive.

The hell with that!

Don Rickles, Redd Foxx, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Joan Rivers, Dave Chapelle, Norm McDonald, Gilbert!

Are you kidding me?

They’ve all told way ‘worse’ jokes.

They never had to worry about being assaulted on-stage.

And what will happen now?

People charging the comedy stage when a comedian claps back at a drunk who is heckling him from the bar?

There’s also been a whole bunch of “they were both wrong”.

I couldn’t disagree more.

Chris Rock was hired to bring it. 

He did. 

If Will Smith or his wife had a problem with the joke than, for sure, call Rock out for it, but walk up on the stage and assault him?

No freaking way.

Here’s the thing about being on the stage and going for the joke…

…none of it is malicious! 

I’ll often target someone and then immediately go and shake his hand as the joke lands.

I have one where I call on someone to explain a rule (which they can never do) and then later say, “that’s what OSHA does. They look for the dumbest-looking guy in the room and ask him to explain.”

The joke hasn’t failed in about 25 years.

I lead with the handshake and the guy who just took it laughs too.

Can he come up and slap me?

No. 

And I’m not being malicious. I’m making them laugh.

And men and women have been doing it for years.

We all know the rules of engagement.

Will Smith owes the apology.

Chris Rock shouldn’t apologize to anyone.

No way!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie