Sleep Depravation

There was no contest about the worst thing about becoming a father.

Not sleeping through the damn night!

There were a couple of nights back then when I stood in the center of my kitchen…

…just howling at the moon!

This past week has reminded me of all that.

The problem, you ask?

1). Miller

I have a cat who loves me. He is also very aware of time and starts nagging at me to get out of bed by 06:00 - no matter what day it is.

He also gets lonely for time with me. I’ve been a tad busy being around for Kathy so Millsie has felt neglected.

He firmly believes that waking me up in the middle of the night is also perfect for some quality time.

2). Johnny is here

I love my son.

I love my nephew.

Together they are an absolute handful. 

“Let’s not turn this into a six a.m. night,” I said.

They woke me at 2.

Again after 4.

I not-so-calmly reminded them that I had enough!

3). The Patient

We’ve been married long enough to know one another’s sleep habits. 

I’m a light sleeper and much like when the kids were young, I could catch a tone and I knew when there was trouble.

“Siri, text Cliff!”

It was between five and five-thirty when I heard that. 

Then I heard her dictate the body of the text:

“When you wake up, come down before you get into the shower. I need help.”

I’d have to be a real ass**e to turn over and go back to sleep.”

“What’s up?” I asked, a moment later.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to wake you up.”

4). Oliver

We got the puppy before the medical troubles.

Now.

He doesn’t give a flying crap about what’s going on.

He wants to play!

I’m his favorite playmate.

He doesn’t care if I’m tired.

So, I made an announcement last night:

“I need to sleep!

 I’m old!! 

Camp Clifford Curfew in full effect!”

And then the damn alarm went off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie