Other Plans

Lennon said that “Life is what happens when you’re making other plans.”

I am way too structured, and certainly struggle when life throws a curveball.

Kathy is having a bit of a medical issue. 

There will be a surgery and a bit of a rehab for sure, but we are of the opinion that she’ll feel better in the long run.

Thing is, I don’t know how to react when my plans have to suddenly change.

“What should I do?” I asked as Tuesday approached.

“Go to work,” she answered. “That’s usually the right answer, right?”

And she wasn’t being snarky in the least. She just knows I work better when I work.

So, off I went and it was a pretty routine day with the nagging question of what should I do next hanging over the top.

Do I cancel things?

“What time are things happening?” I asked.

“Who knows? We’ll let you know.”

I feel like asking if they can give me a little lead time.

And of course, I must annoy those around me because I annoy the hell out of myself.

I can get something stuck in my head, for sure.

I texted Sam early.

“Vacuum Ollie’s area.”

Then I called him with the same instruction.

“Got it!” He said.

I returned home. The area wasn’t vacuumed. Ran into Sam.

“What’re you doing?”

“Chilling.”

“Are you vacuuming?”

“Not yet!”

The minutes passed. I heard the sounds of a Madden game going into overtime.

Tick-tock in my head.

I lectured myself to just chill a little.

Then the door popped open and Sam ran down.

The vacuum went on.

And my mind moved to the next thing…

…there will be a thing after that…

…and tomorrow’s plan started to formulate.

Life.

Changes.

Plans.

Let’s get back into the old routine, huh?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie