Long Gone Friends

The hands-down saddest thing about getting older is that we lose track of people as we move along.

And then, because we are reaching that fragile age, we start to hear about people passing on.

Woke to sad news yesterday as a friend from decades ago passed away.

I immediately thought of a day from nearly 40 years ago. Just a day gone by when laughs were shared around a kitchen table with her family. We were all just kids!

And I didn’t lose complete touch with her, but obviously, time and life get in the way.

We all go separate ways.

And I’m being particularly vague here, but it’s all about loss and then remembering.

The moments aren’t lost in a friendship.

Ever.

They live on.

I heard it said that we die twice.

Once when we pass from this Earth and again when the last person who loved us also passes.

I might argue that we last even longer than that.

The joy we put out. 

The love we share. 

The happiness we bring to others all the days of our lives…

…spins around and around for ever.

We are alive!

Even when we leave.

So, I lost a friend yesterday.

Hadn’t seen her in more than 30 years.

Had chatted a bit online last year and was glad that I did.

Either way…

…she’s still around.

And will be.

I’ll remember her pretty smile, and mourn the loss.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie