Relaxed

Played a quick round of golf on Saturday morning.

We headed to our old stomping grounds, a course that we grew up on.

It’s a course out in the sticks that isn’t quite as nice as what we play on every week, but the layout has always been fun, and it felt pretty good to move after using a massage gun all week.

Then I took requests for dinner, and Kathy is a huge fan of fried potatoes. I don’t do them often because they’re a pain in the ass to get ‘em just right.

They were perfect and the ham was the perfect compliment.

Then we caught a long Matt Dillon serial killer movie from 2018 that was truly interesting.

None of that was important, but about halfway through it, I felt relaxed!

It was an odd feeling!

Totally and completely relaxed!

“I wish I could bottle this,” I thought, but knew it would fade relatively soon.

I had a college buddy, who, during the playing of Jim Croce’s ‘Time in a Bottle’, and whilst we were drinking beer said:

“If I could save time in a bottle, my dumb ass would probably drink it.”

I’ve laughed at that line for about 35 years.

Seems we all go out of our way to never actually get to a totally relaxed state.

We carry the seeds of our own destruction in our front pocket and will spill them as we move ahead.

There’s no reason why it should take so long to find a way to feel at ease with all of this living, but that’s the way it goes.

Ambition, circumstances, outside interferences, random thoughts about nothing, daydreams, and struggles all conspire to keep us clear of feeling relaxed.

I’ve always enjoyed the 4th of July. 

For years and years I considered it the perfect holiday.

Summertime, celebrating America, good food and family…

…all seemed so simple.

My feelings about how the country has drifted to an almost unrecognizable place…

…well, that’s a thought for a different moment in time.

‘Cause I’m relaxed!

And I’m gonna’ try and hold onto it for a little while.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie