Old Friends

I love reconnecting with old friends because no matter how much time goes by…

…things still click when you see them.

Especially high school friends. It’s been 40 years since I saw those people on a regular basis, but when I trade messages with some of them it’s like nothing has changed.

I still know what they might say or do. The conversations are similar.

Yet, it’s the people that you don’t see at all anymore.

Thought of an old friend from back in 1988.

It was a girl that I had a crush on, and although my crushes didn’t normally work out, I took this girl out a few times.

She even came to my parent’s home for a party, and was exposed to an afternoon of abuse at the hands of my siblings.

Her name popped into my head for some reason and I remembered her innocent laughter.

She had a loud, confident laugh.

I even remembered the movie we went to see - Lost Boys - and that our last date ended when the Yankees-Red Sox game went into extra innings and I sat at the bar and watched the end instead of bringing her a drink back to the dance floor.

It was her birthday.

She was livid that I blew her off for “a dumb baseball game!”

In my mind she’s stuck at 24 years of age.

I thought about looking her up on social media just to see…

…decided not to.

Sometimes people enter our lives for just a short time and we’re left with an impression of them that lasts forever.

And that’s good enough.

Hope she still has that booming laugh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie