Thanksgiving 2020

Was having a rough go in the early part of the week. I was surrounded by thoughts of death at work (investigating an accident). 

I was reminded of loss because when I woke up, my dog wasn’t there and when I got home, I missed how much she loved me and showed it in her greeting.

And thinking about my Mom’s birthday and how both her birthday and her Thanksgiving are lost.

I stopped by. 

Stayed far away from her, but spoke to her for quite awhile. Mom has always been so positive. She was positive yesterday too.

“It sucks, but it’ll end soon.”

My heart sank when I said, “Wish I could give you a birthday kiss” and Mom said, “No, no kisses. I’m not getting this after sitting here all this time.”

Then Jim reached out because my love of Thanksgiving stuffing is legendary. He sent me the recipe and a step-by-step direction (reminding me to wash my filthy hands). 

I followed it perfectly and mixed it all expertly and I tried a bowl.

“It’s great,” I told Jim, “but this ain’t good - I’m gonna’ weigh 400 pounds knowing how to make this.”

Trying by not to get down about it all, but there are four of us eating Thanksgiving dinner. I made a 15-pounder. Turkey until next weekend, I guess.

And I thought about Thanksgiving Days of the past - 20 or 30 of us packed into the big house on the hill.

“We’ll all get together soon,” Mom said. 

Always putting the brave face on it.

Thankfully, we’re here.

Hopefully, you find some peace and eat well. 

Call me early...

...I’ll be in a stuffing coma late in the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie