Happy Birthday Mom

I started to get down about it early on during the work day on Tuesday.

Actually sent my older sister a message. 

“What can we do for Mom?”

The virus is running rampant. We are all out and about with Covid in the air.

I don’t want to get my mother sick, but to be alone for her birthday and then Thanksgiving?

That’s sad.

I went about my work day and then, just as I was ordering lunch, Mick Jagger’s voice filled the air.

Call coming in:

“Mom.”

I stepped out of line and the guy asked me what I wanted to order.

“Gotta’ take this.”

She needed me to grab her a couple of things. 

“Sure.”

I mentioned how lousy it is that we won’t all be together for any celebrating this week.

“That’s all right,” she said. “We can do it later. We have to stay healthy.”

“Sorry about Melky,” she said. “That’s too bad.”

There’s no doubt that my love of dogs came from Mom. She was the Whitney Houston of singing to every dog that we ever had. She also was the queen of giving her dogs about 10 or 12 names.

Then we talked books for a minute. I glanced over at the guy behind the counter. He was wondering if I was gonna’ order.

“Waiting for a new Sandford book. Does he have anything new coming out?”

My love of reading came directly from Mom.

“This is the first year in at least 50 years that I’m not making stuffing.”

That made me really sad.

My love of stuffing definitely comes from Mom!

Damn!!

“What a weird birthday you’re going to have,” I said.

“Yeah, but I don’t want it to be the last one!”

So, Happy (really weird) Birthday to Mom!

We love you!

(Oh, Happy Birthday to my golf buddy, JC too!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie