Melkster

Over the last month or so, Melky has started to slide a bit.

She’s 14 and a half years old and even though we believed that she’d be here forever...

...I left for a three-day trip wondering if she’d be here when I got back.

When I called home I pretended to be interested in all the daily news but couldn’t wait to ask about Melky.

“She’s lost a lot of weight and she’s struggling to sleep.”

Damn.

I don’t want her to suffer at all. I spent a few hours driving through Kansas and I have it plenty of thought.

If this is it...

...well, it would be horrible, but...

I got in the house around 10:00.

The Melkster was fast asleep. Which was a sign because she usually would jump straight up.

I shook her awake.

And that 3-second moment was great.

I could see how happy she was.

During the day on Friday, she followed me.

She ate a lot.

Hung out in the backyard with Miller and Paris.

“That’s so weird,” Sam said. “She doesn’t lift her head up when you’re gone. Now, she’s alive again.”

It was a good day.

We are all day-to-day.

Melky is running out of time, but she’s going to have a good day every day from here on out.

And steak.

She’s gonna’ have some steak between now and then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie