Melky

Today is the final day of a remarkable life.

Melky Cabrera, Melkman, Melk-a-roo, Melkinator, Nater, Nate...

...has left Camp Clifford...

...and man, I’m really, really gonna’ miss her.

But man, what a life!

We rescued Melky from the SPCA - Tonawanda Branch and I can remember my kid’s faces when I said ‘okay’ to their request, but my first thought was:

“A pit bull?”

We’d heard so much about the breed, but Melky lived a life of peace. She patrolled the neighborhood from her perch in my bed...

...barking at anyone who moved on the street below.

I started thinking about the rides.

There was at least one a day for 14 years and 8 months. For a few years there we went for a morning ride and one after dinner.

And the bones!

My God! She ate a truckload of bones.

Thousands of dollars worth.

Yet, the last two weeks have been rough.

Her body just flat-out broke down, and I couldn’t watch her suffer anymore.

“I don’t really remember life without her being here,” Sam said.

Matt came walking into the house...

...”what’re you doing here?” I asked.

“I have to say goodbye to Melk-a-roo.”

So, on Sunday, for the first time since March 1, 2006 I’m going to wake up without Melky beside me.

Sad.

Sucks.

But this sadness is the price we are forced to pay for love.

Worth it!

See you on the other side, Melkman.

You were my best buddy.

Never forgive you for leaving me here with Miller!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie