An Ace

There was a great video of a professional golfer skipping a ball across a pond and actually getting a hole in one as the ball rolled across the green.

Just amazing - check it out - I don’t know how to add it here.

We may have one more outing to try and get one on our 4-some. Then again, we may golf all year long! The weather this week has been stunning.

I have never hit a hole in one. 

I could never get closer than I did though, and while I’ve told the story before...

...it was the day after my 25th class reunion. We stayed at the bar until 4 a.m., and I was scheduled to tee off at 10 a.m. - in Syracuse!

I slept for 3 hours and then made the 2.5 hour drive. They were screaming for me at the tee and I was still pulling my shoes on when my turn came up.

Par 3 - 155 yards - blind green.

“I think you’re on,” my cart partner said. Then. “Whoa! You have a tap-in birdie.” Then. “Dude, it’s stuck between the flag and the cup.”

Then we arrived. Walked up to find my ball on the lip of the cup. There was zero space. I couldn’t have put a blade of grass there.

We jumped.

It didn’t drop.

“May as well be a mile,” my buddy said.

Made me sick. That was in 2007. I haven’t shot a hole in one since then even though I’ve got close a few times...including last week when I was less than 5’ away.

We have all flirted with it this year.

Meanwhile, one of my buddies has four this year!

One of the secretaries at my biggest client has two! 

She can’t hit a ball more than 120 yards! She made one without the ball ever leaving the ground! She hit a 100-yard grounder that dropped!

A lot of it is luck to be sure, but you’d think that sooner or later it might happen. 

I have been playing for 40 years!

“How would it change your life?” Kathy asked when I told her about my shot last weekend.

“Did you at least make it in two?” She asked.

I pretended I didn’t hear the question.

“Did you get a two?”

“I got a four,” I finally answered. 

I didn’t want to get into the explanation of how I turned a near-ace into a bogie, but every golfer out there knows THAT feeling.

On Tuesday I got a test from another buddy:

“Hey! Scanlon just got a hole in one! 13th hole at Diamond Hawk.”

“Good for him,” I answered.

I wasn’t truly happy about it.

We need one in our 4-some!

I’d be happy for the three I hang with on Sunday mornings.

Even happier for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie