Life Is Surprising

 It’s 73 degrees on November 5th. I’m driving through Emporia, Kansas.

The sun is shining and the cruise control is set at better than 80.

Not a lot to see.

Nothing to hit out here.

I switch from the election news to Apple Car Play and Barbara Streisand’s voice is suddenly in the car with me.

“A Woman In Love”

And I marvel at the beauty I can find in the middle of a flat, boring drive.

I sing along, aware that every person I’ve ever met would make fun of me forever if they heard that.

Then Judy Collins:

“Both Sides Now”

“There’s something gained and something lost in living every day”...

...catches my ear and holds me for a minute.

My heart buoyed by the love in my life, but shattered by the love that has slipped away.

“Drive Fast, Fall Hard” Bruce sings next.

“Don’t worry about tomorrow and don’t mind the scars.”

Life can be surprising.

A Kansas highway on a warm day in November...

...singing myself hoarse to Streisand...

...as the divided nation fights.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie