One Plus One Equals Three

Most of life exists in the area where things make sense.

One plus one equals two.

Yet, the excitement of life exists in the more abstract moments where one plus one equals three.

Springsteen spoke of it in his Broadway Show, saying that it’s the magical moments where when things don’t seem to make sense...

...beauty shines through.

Melky’s remarkable life came to an end yesterday and I spent the hours before trying to rationalize it.

She was hurting.

She had a wonderful life.

She knew how much we all loved her.

But one plus one doesn’t equal two in those situations.

I couldn’t handle it for a few minutes and I kept thinking about how she’d cry when she put eyes on me when I got back from work, or how she cajoled and chided me into taking her for a ride or giving her more bones.

One plus one equaled three and there was love between a dog and the members of the family.

No one else was around.

Despite knowing that she would no longer feel pain, I was shaken with grief knowing that she would no longer be here.

I bowed my head and the tears came...

...and then Paris appeared to my left.

She nestled in close, licked the side of my face.

“Good girl.”

Magical moment.

Could Paris actually know?

Of course she did.

One plus one equals three...

...where music is created, books are written, marriages happen, love happens...

...even between a dog who is no longer here and one who stood tall and offered me comfort right when I needed it.

Gonna’ take a little while, but we are all searching for moments of magic.

Melky provided plenty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie