Peace & Quiet

I often think about a single Saturday early in our marriage.

My great mother-in-law, sensing that we were overwhelmed with battling 3 young kids..

...took all of them!

And in the middle of a Saturday afternoon, I laid on the couch and watched the Yankees play the Giants in a inter-league game (Bonds homered but the Yankees won).

Sometimes it seems like that was the last quiet day ever. 

“What’s going on tomorrow?” I have asked every day for the last 25 years.

“Not much,” is the answer I usually get.

“Does Sam work?”

“Yes.”

“When to when?”

“12 to 8.”

“Okay, what else?”

“Nothing much.”

“Does Jake work?”

“Yes.”

“When to when?”

“8 to 4.”

“Okay,” I say. “What about you?”

“Nothing.”

Half hour later, she’s putting her shoes on.

“Where you going?”

“Therapy. I didn’t tell you?”

“I asked you if you had anything.”

“Oh.”

And that’s what my life has been like since Bonds hit that homer.

I’m on an ever-lasting quest to find out what the hell is going on?

And do you know when the best conversations happen?

When I go to bed!

I hear them all cackling like hens...

...once in awhile I hear:

“You better not let your father hear that.”

I just turn over and go to sleep.

The next day:

“What were you and the boys talking about last night?”

“Nothing much.”

And I just wander off...

...in my eternal search of peace and quiet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie