Abundance of Caution

Back to bitching about the use of phrases in the media that drive me crazy.

“We’re doing this out of an abundance of caution” is right at the top of my list these days.

I also hate “on the planet” when someone is describing a person who is at the top of their field. “Right now, DeAndre Hopkins is catching the ball better than anyone on the planet.” 

How do they know?

I had a dog - Shadow - who was the greatest catcher of any ball.

“There’s no there there,” really aggravates me...every freaking time!

“It’s a nothing burger,” God Almighty that one makes my skin crawl!

“Running it up a flagpole?” 

And the thing about these phrases it’s that everyone uses them all over and over and over again.

I don’t give Trump credit for much but one thing he does do well is come up with slogans.

Most of them are lies but he says them enough times that sooner or later...

...everyone is repeating it.

“The cure can’t be worse than the problem.”

He said that so many times about Covid that sooner or later everyone was repeating it.

“Rounding the turn!”

That truly made it sound like the virus was being beaten into submission.

Google that...

...he repeated it a hundred times.

His cult was saying it in interviews.

Meanwhile the number of cases was soaring.

As a safety guy I hear the same thing over and over again when I’m talking to an owner.

“We want to make sure that our guys go home the same way they came in.”

“Safety is our number one priority.”

Just throwaway sentences.

Guys who announce sports say the same things every single game.

I love the Yankees broadcast but every single time the bases are loaded the announcer will say, “the batter just has to relax. It’s the pitcher who is in trouble.”

When a team is getting into field position one of the announcers will say, “they’d like to get 3 points here, but 7 would be better.”

Really???

Todd Frazier was a youngster when Derek Jeter played for the Yankees. There’s a photo of them together.

Over and over again I’ve seen that photo.

“Derek probably doesn’t remember that photo, but Todd Frazier does.”

And one for the kids:

“I know! Tom Brady is 43! He still throws the ball well!!”

It’s going to be another slow winter with a lot of television.

“Out of an abundance of caution”

I’m going to try and ignore all the cliches.

Drives me crazy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie