Longest Days

I really despise hospital life.

I feel a lot of sadness behind the hospital walls.

I was stuck at Kathy’s bedside as we waited for surgery. We originally slated to be there at 9:30. Instead, they asked us to show up by 7:30...

...which meant up by 6:00.

It’s been a long, long week with precious little sleep.

Kathy slept!

From 7:30 when we got there until 10:30 when they actually got her. She also slept a long while in recovery and was nodding off all evening

Thank God it went as planned.

Me?

I listened to a woman named Cheryl talk about her husband, Rico, who had his bowel reconfigured because it was wrapped around his hernia.

“I told him weeks ago! He wouldn’t listen!! I was right all along!!!”

I saw an old couple, holding hands.

“A father shouldn’t be this worried about the health of his child,” the man said.

“He’s going to be fine. He has a great doctor.”

I thought about the doctors a little. Someone finished last in their class.

I hoped the guy who was working on their kid was at the top of his class.

And the food stinks, and the smell of the place is just off.

I saw a guy walking around with a mop. He was in green scrubs and he was moving as if he were in loose concrete.

He mopped the floor with cloudy water and he was just moving it around.

I felt like grabbing the mop and helping him do it right...

...and the security guard was really fighting sleep.

He hardly glanced up.

Kathy was finally awake for a minute.

“What did you do all day?”

“This and that.”

“Must’ve been a long day for you. You’re usually moving around.”

Yeah.

Long day.

But life is short...

...even when the days are long.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie