Big Love

My mother-in-law and father-in-law stopped by for a visit on Saturday afternoon.

Jake’s car needed a little work, and since I once poured anti-freeze into the tub where windshield washer goes, I was relegated to handing my brother-in-law the tools that he needed.

And I hung back and watched.

I also kept an eye on the back and forth between Kathy’s parents.

Her Mom hasn’t been feeling great lately, and her memory isn’t strong.

It’s tough to see.

Yet, I watched my father-in-law help her every step of the way.

What was striking about it for me is that I played golf with my father-in-law a few times...

...he’s not a patient man!

We’d be on the green at one hole and he’d chide me to hurry it along.

“Just hit it, let’s go!”

I’m not a slow golfer. I don’t stand over any shot too long, but man, he was 100% quicker than me.

So, I was a little shocked to see him in patient mode.

“Hang on a second,” he said. “Carolyn needs me.”

And off he’d go to talk to her.

He held her hand to walk her into the house...

...and I thought about how love changes.

From the excitement when you’re young...

...to the fighting together and with one another in the middle years...

...to the mutually dependent of the old.

Big love.

And it’s been a fairly trying couple of days.

Doesn’t it seem like things all break at once?

And Kathy has been physically hurting.

The old dogs are breaking down and they need more attention.

The boys always need something.

“It’s tough,” my brother-in-law mentioned when I asked him how everyone is doing.

“Hardly seems fair,” he said. “You work hard all your life.”

His voice faded.

I caught my MIL & FIL talking quietly just feet from where I was standing.

Maybe it’s not fair to break down slowly. But I don’t know, I just lost a friend who was only 60 years old.

What’s better?

I’m not sure.

Yet, I saw some big love between a long-time married couple...

...and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Still, I had to throw a little bit of shade at my father-in-law.

“It’s time to go watch the Yankees win. What channel are the Indians on?”

He laughed.

Flipped me the bird...

...then went straight back to taking care of my mother-in-law.

It was a pretty great thing to see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie