Getting Old

Today is my buddy Jeff’s Birthday...

...you’re getting old, Champ.

Thursday I get to 54 on the time calendar.

“Time to celebrate birthday week,” I said.

Everyone yawned.

Birthdays are weird for us old dudes.

It’s turned into a day of aggravation for a guy like me.

You see, every day I’m alive is a day that starts with a To-Do List. I spend the first 20 minutes that I’m awake compiling my list of things to do...

...I’m obsessive compulsive so I have to get the list clear before I return to that bed. A bad day is when I don’t get it done.

Birthdays are tough for that because I get a lot of texts, messages and calls. I have to answer each one  individually. If someone took a second to send me a message, I need to answer it.

“Wait until the end of the day and just send one big thank-you,” my beautiful wife said.

Can’t do it.

So, having a birthday in the age of social media has made me older.

It’s a tough day.

And as I’ve grown older, I’ve thought about my Dad at the age I am now. About how he remained concerned about each and every kid being in a pretty good place.

I also think about my age in a specific year.

1990 doesn’t seem like that long ago...

...I was 25 for most of that year.

That’s crazy!

I’m getting old.

Jeffy is older!

Have a good day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie