A Day In A Life

“Got up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head.”

The Beatles ‘Day In A Life’ is one of the great songs.

I thought of it on my birthday, yesterday.

I really don’t care who you are or how old you are, or how many times you say, “It’s just another day”...

...you still know it’s the anniversary of the day you arrived.

But it was a work day. Dogs still wanted their ride. Meetings were made & kept, but first step out of the door, and I stepped on the gutter.

It had been hanging on the house when I went to bed. The fact that it was in the driveway...sucked!

And it was cold.

30-some degrees.

I felt tired too...

...birthday or not.

Then, things got different. My siblings all texted first. Then my best of friends. Then my beautiful wife and adorable children. Then old high school friends, old college friends, friends from work, friends from grammar school, nieces and nephews and cousins.

Hundreds of people, taking a second to say hello, and I found myself smiling all day.

This year, I also participated in a Facebook fund raiser for Parents Project Muscular Dystrophy and for a week, I checked to see I was a bit short of the goal, and then all at once, my friends donated and up and over we all went...

...raising money for a cause.

And all the garbage crap that aggravates me about social media was out the window. I felt the community aspect of it all.

I smiled a lot as I heard from people.

And what really hit me about the day was that life is pretty simple if you just let the day sort of come to you...

...I blocked all the other nonsense out.

Didn’t dwell on politics, or the freaking Red Sox, or work angst. I did my job, I sang to my dogs, had dinner, talked sports with the boys...

...easy stuff.

Just living.

Oh, one other thing...

...our internet and cable were out all day.

Maybe that had something to do with it.

Was a good day.

Just a day.

Appreciate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie