Florida Hurricane

We’ve seen so many of these storms come and go.

It starts with an evacuation plea. The heads of government come on television and beg people to listen to what they’re being told.

Then the media shows up and finds people who decided to tough it out. The implication being that they’re stupid.

Then the storm hits, and as a nation we watch them pick through the rubble.

How many dead?

A few days later, we move on. Wait for the next one.

I was a horrible science student. I wanted to be interested in it, but it all seemed so abstract to me. I’d read all about it, but nothing stuck. I wasn’t much of a science geek, and I still don’t know what to think.

“We’re all doomed!”

That’s the news coming out of the climate change believers.

“The planet will correct it!”

Says the climate-change deniers.

Well, we’ve had an awful lot of once-in-a-lifetime storms in the last few years. I’m no scientist, but something is awry.

I read an article that said that the planet, given the path it’s on, may only last 30 or 40 more years.

That’s at the high end of what I got left.

Would be something if I stuck around until the end...

...but did you see those photos?

Cars floating down the street...

...houses just flat-out blown away...

...entire towns wiped out.

Those people who stay don’t believe that it will be as bad as it turns out to be.

They think it’s all just a scam.

“You stayed,” the news anchor asked one man.

“We survived,” the man said.

“If you could do it all over, would you leave?” The anchor asked.

“Yep,” the man said. “It was horrific.”

Perhaps we all need to sit down and study the issue.

The devastation is horrific.

I know one thing for sure:

I don’t want a house on the beach.

My Lord.

May those poor people find some peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie