You’re My Home

Melky has been battling hard lately.

Just before we went away to Albuquerque she had an episode and I was so distraught, but she rallied hard, and for the last three weeks she’s been perfectly fine.

Cut to Wednesday of this week, a couple of dogs were wandering around the neighborhood. Both Melky and Paris were racing around the backyard. I looked out the window and thought:

“Amazing.”

On Thursday, as we got out of bed, Melky wasn’t at the door with Paris.

“What is Melky doing?”

We have a routine. They go out, I drink coffee and we get the paper and I bring them home and go off to work. Doesn’t matter the hour. They go.

On Thursday, it was just me and Paris.

Friday and Saturday too.

Melky was still moving around, eating well, drinking well, her back legs were just not there.

I was sad.

On Sunday morning I got up and told Melk to hang out and I’d be back after I got Paris settled. I set Paris’ food out and turned around.

Melky was standing there. She’d come down 4 flights of stairs.

“Are you kidding me?”

She went out, and then wouldn’t hear anything about not going for a ride.

The gang was back together.

We went around the neighborhood. Saw a squirrel. Listened to tunes.

Billy Joel’s, ‘You’re  My Home’ came on.

It’s a wonderful song about being happy where you are.

I thought of the fact that there’s going to be a last time that we go for a ride together.

We got home and I helped Melky get out of the car, and she did a slow run to the door.

I laughed.

That’s one tough dog.

What hit me about the ride though was how joy if found in the mundane.

“Melky and the Pair, Melky and the Pair.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie