Natalie Wood

They re-opened the Natalie Wood potential murder case.

She fell or was pushed off a boat on November 29, 1981. Her husband, Robert Wagner and actor Christopher Walkin were there.

Nobody knows anything.

I remember the story when it happened. Wood and Wagner were both big stars. She was only 43 years old, and Wagner was immediately questioned.

I think I remember the case because my father, after watching the news report said:

“That dirty bastard murdered her.”

Well, it’s say to say that he got away with it.

Wagner has to be about 80 now. He got to live his life. He still appeared in movies, still was considered a star.

How do you live with such a thing on your conscience?

I’m not saying that he did it. I don’t know enough about the case after all these years to even take a guess, but there were people on that yacht who knew what happened.

Didn’t say a damn word.

Yet it’s the conscience thing that gets to me. So many people do and say things and I often wonder if they ever feel guilty.

“An honest man’s pillow is his peace of mind.”

Mellencamp sang that line in ‘Minutes to Memories’ one of my all-time favorites.

And I know where my conscience comes from...

...the damn nuns beat it into me.

Stories of eternal damnation, flames, Satan standing there with a pitchfork.

It’s all so overwhelming for a five or six year old...

...and I recall my first confession.

I couldn’t actually think of a crime that I’d committed. Here’s the dialogue.

Me: I stole.

Father Weiss: You stole?? What did you steal?

Me: Salami from the fridge.

Father Weiss: (After a long pause) Did you return it?

Me: No. I ate it.

Father Weiss laughed. Then he gave me 10 Our Father’s as a penance.

I said them.

My conscience was clear.

I avoided an eternity of being chased around with a devil-toting pitchfork.

Wonder if Robert Wagner catches the same break.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie