Lukey-Bear

Luke Hoyer was just 15 years old.

He was laid to rest on Monday, President’s Day, as the leader of the free world made the turn during his round of golf.

Lukey-Bear, as Luke was affectionately called, loved chicken nuggets...

...and it was that simple fact that tore at my heart strings.

My boy, Sam, is a chicken fries guy.

He loves them, and he has a particular brand that he favors, and if I could I’d buy him 700 bags of them at a time. I get real excited when I find the kind he likes when I hit a grocery store.

Sam has a ritual.

He counts out the exact number of chicken fries that works in the microwave. He cooks them the same amount of time, and then he dumps a pile of hot sauce in the center.

I learned that he makes two extra because Paris is often with him as he eats them, and my boy shares with his dog.

All of that entered my mind as I thought of that poor family gathering to say goodbye to Luke.

Why????

Because we are too damn stupid to stop this type of tragedy???

At about the same time, high school students traveled to the White House where they staged a “die-in.”

The kids, who are rightfully fed up, laid down on the ground, one-by-one to show that they’re dying as they simply try to get educated.

What for???

Then I listened to the adults, bantering about whether or not it was right or not that constitutional rights might be stripped.

A few idiots tried to deflect to cars being dangerous, or how parents need to spank their children...

...deflection, distraction, blah-blah-blah...

And predictions were being made:

“I don’t think anything will come of this,” one man said. “The gun culture is too strong.”

I kept thinking of that poor child.

Just one of 17 being laid to rest.

Lukey-Bear.

Forever frozen in time at just 15 years of age.

Chicken nuggets.

He was a baby.

Just another American casualty of our love affair with guns.

Sure, there are other things at play, but when you boil it down to the simplest of terms:

A troubled man-child who had no business owning a firearm shot a kid, who was so, so loved, to death because we, as the adults in the equation, failed them both.

How could you possibly golf through that?

RIP Lukey-Bear...

...and each of the others who will be buried this week.

Most of America grieves your loss.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie