In Cold Blood

I last read the classic Truman Capote book back in about 1975 or 1976.

I recall my Mom saying, “Don’t repeat any bad words!”

Of course I’ve always taken great pleasure in reading all books, but Mom struck again as she gifted me a Barnes & Noble card for Christmas.

I saw “In Cold Blood” in the featured rack for just $8.00.

I was excited about the prospect of reading it again. For the uninitiated it’s a true crime story about a 1959 slaughter of a family in Kansas. Capote published the book in 1965.

The dates are important because as I read it again, 42 years after the first read through I wanted to see how the world had changed.

The killers went on the run. They were undetected for quite some time. Our ability to communicate has improved so, they probably would’ve been run down quicker in this day and age.

I was fascinated to read about one of the killer’s thoughts on class warfare, fake religious beliefs, and governmental complaints.

The more things change!

Capote was masterful in the writing of the story. He used a lot of tricks to make it highly suspenseful and he was also extremely respectful of the poor family that was destroyed that November day.

He’s been dead since 1984, and I was very mindful of the fact that his work still resonated for me...long after he’s gone.

That’s always been the best part of being an author.

“Yo, I read The Big D in one sitting,” a buddy said to me on Saturday.

Then we broke it all down.

The father-son relationship. The mother-son Love. The battle between right and wrong. He asked me about some of the secrets.

“I gotta’ tell you. I also read Grisham’s latest, and yours was way better.”

I laughed...

...and then agreed!

I’ve read them both...it’s not even close!

I’ll fall about $5 million short of the $5 million he brings in though.

Ah well, “In Cold Blood” is way better than anything Grisham ever wrote too...

...that’s better than money.

Right????

Read it again!

You won’t be sorry!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie