The Outsiders

Years ago, my Mom and Dad would get all of their sons a gift certificate for Home Depot for Christmas.

Anyone who knows me understands that I don’t belong in Home Depot. I’m not much in the way of handy.

So, Mom starting getting me a Barnes & Noble gift card instead...

...and I couldn’t be more excited than the day when I make my visit to stock up.

I read books on my phone now and again, but I would much rather hold the book.

One of the problems with my visit to the book store though...

...is that I usually outspend the gift card, by a lot...

...and the trip doesn’t take me long.

I can find 8-10 books I want to read in less than 10 minutes.

I saw a couple that I’d read years and years ago.

“In Cold Blood” by Truman Capote and “The Outsiders” by S.E. Hinton.

I read the Capote book when I was about 10 years old. I wasn’t supposed to be reading such a book at such a young age, but Mom encouraged my reading for sure.

“Don’t repeat the bad words,” she said.

“The Outsiders” was a book that we read in 8th grade. We read it together in class, and I distinctly recall that it was an amazing book.

I grabbed both of them.

As I was heading for my truck I couldn’t get over how fired up I was.

“The Outsiders!” I kept thinking.

“It’s like comfort food for the brain,” a longtime friend texted when I told him.

“I don’t like reading,” someone said to me last week. “It makes me instantly fall asleep.”

I felt badly for him.

Okay, gotta’ go...

...I have some reading to do. I

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie