A Guy I Know

Try as I might, I couldn’t downgrade not feeling well to just being a state of mind. I had to cancel some appointments and the World didn’t end.

Yet, I kept thinking about a nun.

Back when I was seven or eight I asked a nun why people get sick.

“So they appreciate life more when they’re healthy,” she said.

I kept saying:

“I appreciate it. Can I feel better now?”

And my job isn’t one that I can totally disengage from. My phone rings anyway because I’m the point man on a lot of accounts in an industry where one moment can change things. Lately I’ve been able to count on my backup, though, so I didn’t have to actually leave on Monday, but...

“I’m sure you heard already,” one call began.

A man I’ve known for about 20 years was on the job, and not feeling well. His co-workers noticed it and told the man to sit down for a minute and catch his breath.

“I’m all right,” the guy said. “I’m not going home.”

(It’s a trait that all construction guys have...too tough to show weakness).

The man was slumped over, 15 minutes later, he’d died in the spot where he went to rest.

He didn’t make it to 60 years old.

Of course, the company had to report it to OSHA. I could do that for them, and did. All the while, thinking of the guy I knew, feeling so horribly for his family and friends.

Myself included.

I’d had plenty of conversations with him on a personal level. I actually was able to save his job once when he got busted for a safety infraction and I negotiated a reduced fine.

I also talked a lot of football with him as he was a diehard Bills fan, and I like to break the stones. I’d save his job for the day after a tough Bills loss, and when he’d see me coming he’d laugh.

“I didn’t think you’d miss your chance to aggravate me,” he’d say.

If that nun were in front of me now I might ask her about why God has people just drop dead. She’d probably spew some stuff about how those around him take a moment to realize what they have...

...even if what they have is on a break cause they don’t feel terrific.

I do know that my friend had his time here to do his work, raise his kids, and watch the Bills. The last time I saw him was the day after the Bills playoff loss.

“I know why you’re here,” he said. “But you can’t get to me today. They’re going to be good next year after they figure out quarterback, and when they get back to the super bowl I’m gonna’ call you every 15 minutes.”

I laughed.

I thought about that after I heard the news...

...and said a prayer for him.

Hopefully, somehow, he’ll know if they make it back.

“Appreciate,” that nun had said.

I hear ya’, Sister.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie