Celebrating

I was just 12, turning 13 when I saw my team win a championship.

Ten minutes after the Yankees beat the Dodgers, I sat with my Dad and ate a huge salami sandwich.

I’ve watched the Yankees win 6 more since...

...eaten a similar sandwich every time.

Never once thought about climbing a street light, or stealing a police horse, or starting a fire, or eating a slab of manure.

What the hell is going on in Philadelphia???

I do recall saying that if the Bills won it all I would run around my neighborhood naked.

They didn’t.

Maybe the god of decency made sure that the first kick was wide right.

Yet, I know my kids would lose it if the Bills somehow snuck one now. You get older, the silly shit goes away.

When the Yankees won those titles in ‘98, ‘99 and ‘00 I think I did a fist pump before making my sandwich.

‘09 was special because it was a horrific year of personal loss, and Sam was watching with me...

...the Yankees beat the hapless Phillies.

I’ve been to Philly a few times...

...thought it was a fun town.

I sometimes wonder if they’re crazy because we all think they’re crazy, or they’re crazy because they are actually crazy.

I don’t understand why you’d tip a car over or break a window, but here we are!

I know one thing for sure:

Salami is way better than manure if you want to eat something in celebration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie