Head On the Pillow

“An honest man’s pillow is his peace of mind.”

Mellencamp sings that sentence in “Minutes to Memories.”

I think of it often.

When I place my head on the pillow each night I can do it knowing that I’ve made every effort to earn every dollar that passes through my hand.

I also know that I do my best to treat those I love with the love they deserve, and I try the best I can to forgive others if I’m wronged.

I don’t deserve an award. I don’t care if anyone else recognizes that I might be a good guy or that I bust my ass each day.

I do it so I can put my head on that pillow and drift off to sleep without angst. I only have to compete with the high standards I set for myself as I grew. Those standards were formulated by not wanting to disappoint my family, my faith, my own heart.

I bring all of this up because I heard Marco Rubio say:

“Stricter gun control wouldn’t have made a difference.”

Can he lay his head on his pillow knowing that he profited off such a stance?

Trump immediately tweeted about mental health.

I can’t even imagine how he ever sleeps.

When his head hits his gold pillow does he recall repealing a law that was designed to keep guns out of the hands of those who suffer from mental illness?

I mean how do you even send out a tweet that blames mental illness when you signed a stand-alone law presented by Chuck Grassley...

...so the mentally ill went unchecked?

And Grassley also sent out a Bible verse and a statement that said:

“We have to think long and hard about mental health and guns.”

He wrote the law!!!

When’s the last time he slept????

The answer, I’m afraid, is that they have never heard that Mellencamp lyric.

Too many people are operating on a system that is fueled by greed, zero compassion, and an “I got mine, who cares about you,” mantra.

We have to shame these people.

Every single time they put up a tweet offering “Thoughts and Prayers” their NRA price tag has to follow.

You know why Trump never mentioned the word ‘gun’ on Thursday?

Well, he had at least 30 million reasons...

...that we know about.

I have a prayer for all of them:

I pray that sleep never comes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie