Pressure On Kids

I often think back to my early 20’s.

Although I had a whole lot of fun, I don’t particularly care for that part of my life.

‘Cause I felt a lot of pressure!

I was still a kid, longing to be a man. I was sitting around waiting for my life to begin, feeling as if it were just slipping away.

Up to that point I’d done what I was supposed to do. Worked every free moment, obtained a bachelors degree, and stayed out of trouble, but I kept thinking:

“What am I going to do?”

I had a family to lean on, and parents who let me know that I could find my way, and that they were okay if it took awhile.

There seems to be even more pressure on these kids.

I took some student loans, but I was able to pay them off. The amount of money a kid might owe now is mind-boggling. The costs of college and the pilfering of our future is embarrassing.

But societal expectations are difficult to navigate as well.

Kids feel like they should be famous!

My oldest finished college...he busted his ass. He worked when he had a chance. He stayed out of trouble, and he also felt like someone should’ve picked him up from his graduation in a private jet, and whisked him off to his place as emperor.

That happens.

He figured it out quickly, and despite some frustration understood that he’d get where he wanted to be...eventually...if he got up and out of bed each day.

I watch my younger two struggling with the questions.

“What are you going to do?”

My beautiful wife has sound advice for them.

I kind of shrug it off.

Success will find them if they work.

Making predictions is pointless.

I was a writer, got a degree in a unrelated field to what I’ve done for a living. I needed all of my degree though, and I’ve kept grinding.

“Keep working,” I’ve told my children. “I’m here helping, so don’t feel like the weight of the world is on your head. Stay as long as you’d like.”

Work.

Be kind.

Work some more.

It’ll be okay.

My Dad told me that too.

Unfortunately, many don’t have that safety net and they wind up desperate and alone.

They get lost.

We have to hold onto those kids.

Somehow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie