“The Thruway Is Closed”

I don’t want to drive in the snow anymore.

About a month ago, I got caught in whiteout conditions and it truly soured me on ever getting caught out there.

On Wednesday I was teaching a class in front of about 50 guys that I’ve known for about 20 years. We have constantly traded barbs. In 2009 I bet one guy, during the summer, that the Yankees would win the World Series.

He lost.

He came to the training in a dress to pay off the bet. I saw him from the front of the room, and laughed for a long time.

So, it’s that kind of group.

And they know that I hate winter driving.

“There’s a no travel ban,” one of them told me at the first break.

He actually had it on his phone.

At lunch, I saw that it was snowing.

“The Thruway is closed from Rochester to Buffalo,” a different guy told me.

I decided to see if the hotel nearby had rooms available in case I needed one.

“It’s not bad here,” Kathy texted.

I checked the weather on my phone. Six to ten inches with hazard warnings.

Another guy came by:

“Have you given any thought to getting us out of here early? It’s bad out there. They’re saying that cars are all over the road. A trailer jack-knifed on 96.”

I was teaching on electrical Safety when I made up my mind:

“I’m staying,” I texted. “I’m not driving in this crap.”

I battled through the rest of class and I did wrap it up a half hour earlier than scheduled.

I cleared the snow off my car.

Started the 8 mile drive to the hotel...

...the road was dry.

...there was no snow falling.

And it dawned on me.

There were no cars off the road..

...no jack-knifed tractor trailers.

My phone chimed.

“Hey, dumbass,” the text read. “How’s the drive? Pretty clear, huh?”

It had been a well-coordinated effort.

I drove the 100 miles home.

“Got ya’!” The guy who’d once wore the dress had written.

“God, you’re gullible!”

I hate them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie