One Down

Matt moved out.

Weird.

He has been gone for long stretches as he went through college, but last night he was packing all his stuff, and moving on down the road.

"Five years later than you wanted," he said as he passed me in the hall.

"Ten, actually," I said.

So now the green and gold Oakland A's room is empty and since it's the biggest of the 3 boys rooms I don't think it'll be vacant for long.

And kids these days are boomerangs anyway.

So you never know, but every parent everywhere has gone through their kid moving out.

I remember moving into my apartment after college. My Dad was dead-set against it.

"Stay here! Save money!! I stuff you with steak and pasta all week long...why are you leaving?"

The reasons are universal.

To be more of an adult.

To come and go as you please.

To have company over without your little brothers making fun.

I get it.

But it's still weird.

And there will be a day...

...in the not too distant future.

When all three of those rooms will be empty.

I remember that about a week after I found my apartment there came a knock at the door.

Dad walked in.

He looked around...not saying anything.

"You want something to drink?" I asked.

It felt weird to ask him if I could help him to something. I'd forever been the one who needed something of him.

"Just looking around," he said.

Dad only stayed a couple of minutes.

He nodded to me, and then left.

"Behave yourself," he said.

And then he called me every day for the next twenty years...

...and asked me if I wanted to come for dinner.

Guess I gotta' take a ride and see where Matt moved to...

...then I gotta' rip the Oakland A's crap off that wall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty