You Suck!

Had a little Facebook exchange this past weekend that came out of nowhere and it sort of reinforced the fact that we are in a weird place these days.

Anyone can say anything they want...without fear...behind a keyboard.

And it brought to mind the celebrities who were attacked by trolling fans...

...including Curt Shilling and Erin Andrews and Ashley Judd...

some of those folks are suing the ones who went nuts on them...

...but social media, unfortunately will never be a polite place.

Which is also good with me.

I put a whole lot of stuff out there.

I'll disagree with someone just to see if they can see the other side of the argument.

I'll have live battles with my good buddy, Pops on Facebook...while I'm texting him about something personal.

The two trains never actually meet.

We can fight about the lack of integrity in football while we inquire about the wife and kids on the 'other line.'

It's when it gets personal that it becomes weird.

This is your typical exchange sometimes on a social media site:

Guy One: Obama is a strong leader who has helped create jobs and brought healthcare to folks who didn't have it.

Guy two: The economy was going to get better. It's cyclical. The healthcare plan has hurt folks too.

Guy One: I've been happy with the way he's handled Iran as well.

Guy Two: That's 'cause your (the you're is always misused) a libtard who hates his country. You &*%#$ moron. Your kids are &*%^ morons too.

Do you see where the discussion went sour?

And it goes that way almost every single time, too.

On every comment section about every story, everywhere in the world.

Which is a little sad because I have spent my entire life looking to understand all sides of anything...but usually coming across as closed-minded...a little trick of mine.

Yet.

It does come with the territory and it's important to know the difference.

That is why I am texting the important stuff to Pops and others.

That personal stuff belongs nowhere near the public realm.

You have to pick and choose who you bring into the real circle...and when the going gets mean...

...back out.

Which is tough to do.

Back when Schilling got into it I was quick to add that he sometimes mixes it up with his trollers, almost inviting the ridiculous attacks.

Which is something a whole bunch of us do, but is not a license for the other guy.

(If I didn't not care for Schilling...I'd feel responsible to offer him an apology).

But there's often things going on that mess up the whole thing.

I'm not sure what the future of social media will be.

I'm seeing a time when lawsuits fly 'round and 'round and it becomes overly regulated like everything else.

In the meantime...

...it's like every other walk of life.

Laugh a little.

Think through your arguments.

and

Be kind.

Because at the end of the day...

...we all sorta' suck a little.

We don't need it pointed out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie