The Gow School Honors

You know who gets honored the most at The Gow School Annual Honors Presentation?

The Fazzolari's!


I just wanted to take it all in. I entered the empty auditorium just a few minutes the ceremony was to begin. The Headmaster greeted me before I even caught a glimpse.

"Thank you for coming, Cliff," he said.

I thought about being in the room for a book signing with a group of students cheering as Jeff and I went back and forth in front of them back in about 2007.

Jeff was an absolute rock star.


I wandered around the grounds a little. I stopped by the Memorial garden for Matt Roe who was a friend of Jeff's and tragically lost his life in 2008. Matt's death had devastated Jeff.

I said a quick prayer for Matt and his family.


The kitchen was busy.

Jeff was watching the action. His memorial plaque made me shake my head.

I said another prayer and was greeted by a pretty girl who had worked with Jeff back then.

"So nice of you to come out," she said. Then she told me a couple of stories...mentioning the laughter...her eyes glistened. "Your mannerisms," she said. "Are a lot like his."

We both shook our heads.


I glanced up.

The Gow School strikes me as a beautiful place. There's so much about the grounds that make it special.

I stared at the sign for a long moment.

Then I ran into a half dozen more people who had really loved seeing Jeff every day. They asked about every single member of our family.

Paul Rose, who was Jeff's great friend, invited me to the stage.

"I don't have to sit on the stage," I said.

"Yes you do," he answered.


Two students and a faculty member were awarded the Memorial Scholarship.

I stood beside Paul as he introduced the winners and in his speech he, of course, made mention of Jeff's wonderful sense of humor, but he also added something even more special, saying that Jeff's ATTITUDE was a shining example for students, staff and visitors.

I never struggle to speak in front of a crowd, but as I started to speak I thought of the fact that The Gow School was going to do their best to make sure that every single student...in the next 50, 100 years...will know or at least hear about Jeff.

Just beautiful.


And I hope you can make out the last photo.

On the anniversary of Jeff's death, this year, I used the words to the Springsteen song, Further On Up the Road, as a tribute.

The ceremony ended in time for me to get into the car at 03:18 p.m.

The song had just started.

Just beautiful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty