The Full Catastrophe of Life

There's a phrase that I use all the time when I'm talking to folks about my day.

I have a tendency to say that 'I've enjoyed every day of the full catastrophe of life.'

I stole that line from Mellencamp.

Well when we saw him last Saturday night the lights went down. He strode to the microphone and started singing the song in an old crooner style.

The band was playing in the dark behind him and when he sang the first line I turned to Kathy and said, "Unreal!"

She didn't know the song.

It's not exactly Pink Houses.

But I absolutely loved the rendition and it's been in my head for almost a week now.

The best thing about it was that he started singing...then completely forgot a verse...I think I was the only guy who might have noticed. He stopped and laughed and started over.

He mumbled: "Catastrophe."

So.

In the end.

If I should go sudden...

...know one thing:

I've enjoyed every day of the full catastrophe of this life.

Full Catastrophe - John Mellencamp

I've ridden down Sunset
I've drank expensive wine

I've been married two dozen times
Raised ten children on a workman's pay

And I'm glad to say I've enjoyed everyday
Of the full catastrophe of this life

I've sat in courtrooms
Had people call me names
I've been to London town
On a supersonic plane

I was lovin' your wife
While you were lovin' mine

And I'm glad to say I've enjoyed everyday
Of the full catastrophe of this life

I've opened my belt to trouble everyday
Ain't lookin' for a fight
But you know I won't walk away
From the full catastrophe of this life

I've seen the goodness
I've known the baddest mother f*&%ers around

I was tattooed when it first came out

I shook the hand that showed Moses the way

And I'm glad to say I've enjoyed everyday

Of the full catastrophe of this life

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie