The Sun


Everyone out there in the working world knows that there are moments when things get real tiresome.

The work load becomes mind-numbing and good rest seems almost impossible. The week's seem to meld together.

Burned out.

I really felt that way heading into the Memorial Day weekend.

It was my time in the barrel.

A strange thing also happens when I'm working long hours...

...I'll often pass a golf course on a bright sunny day and think:

"Damn. I should be out there."

As a young man I'd play at least once every week.

It's slowed considerably.

Feeling the burn out I kinda knew what I needed. I sent out a group text.

Everyone is busy.

Just 'cause I wanna' play...but where there's a will there's a way and thankfully I have a number of close friends.

Things were set:

Possibly golf three times in four days.

Saturday started the fun.

It was a clear, cool day. The ball came off the club nicely. The conversation with a guy I've known for 45 years was easy.

"Where'd you go?"

"How far out are we?"

"Good chip."

"That's a shame."

"&%$@!!!!!"

On Sunday I found friends a long ways away...I made a drive east...into the rising sun...to play 18 at a nice course with 7 others who are also long-time, wise-ass friends.

Everything hurt from the round on Saturday but I had the proper nerve meds, anti-inflammation and air casts.

"Can you play two days in a row?" Kathy asked.

"I hope so."

As I drove the sun blasted me and I kept moving the visor to block it. Yet I left early enough to watch it rise. The music was blasting. My music. Singing along to every song. A notebook beside me...writing down snippets of thoughts...the phone not ringing, buzzing or chirping.

Just wanting to get some of the sun's light on my face.

I parred back-to-back holes early in the round.

The ball came off nice.

The sun shined everywhere.

I took that photo at a moment in time when everything seemed balanced somehow.

Beauty all around.

The sun right above me.

I turned my face up towards it and felt the light on my face.

Shortly after that moment...

...I five-putted a f%^&Ing hole (that should have had a windmill on the green) after covering the first 500 yards in two shots.

"Remember when you five-putted?" my as&h%le cart mate asked me 6 seconds after I sat down and we headed to the next hole.

"Shut-up. I'm enjoying the sun."

Three holes later I four-putted.

Stupid sun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie