Everything Looks the Same

I was traveling around the Kansas City area and being in a new city is weird because you're just absolutely relying on the GPS.

Of course, as is prone to happen, the GPS isn't always aware of detours and the such. I was detoured around a neighborhood and ended up listening to the bitch on the GPS scream at me to make a U-turn as I tried to find my way myself.

Past a Home Depot, a Super Cuts and a Pet Smart.

It looked exactly like the shopping center right down the street from me in Western New York.

Turned right at the McDonald's, streaked by the Olive Garden and the Outback.

America looks the exact same in Kansas City as it does in Buffalo and I'm sure as it does in every other town or city around the country.

When I'm in a new town I do like to look for the local flavor and while I had a great brisket platter...there wasn't much to distinguish things.

Even the construction sites look the same...minority crews have taken over specific trades and while I took a lot of Spanish in my educational years, I can't converse in it...that's for sure.

I end up just talking louder...and in more simplistic sentences.

I feel like I'm trying to address a toddler.

And that's on me...the guys out there who speak English along with their Spanish end up laughing at me and asking me why I'm yelling.

The weather appeared a little dicey to me as I entered Kansas for a site and I couldn't help but think of Dorothy and the Tin Man and the Scarecrow.

"You're from Buffalo?" One local asked. "Does it snow all year there?"

I laughed.

"What about you and the freaking tornadoes?" I asked. "I was scanning the landscape looking for one."

"Ah tornadoes ain't shit," he said.

"Unless one has you by the feet," I answered.

"Around here we just listen to the news and figure out their path...then we stay clear of the path. There's places here where you can drive up and watch them whip across the plains."

I laughed.

"Sounds like a blast."

"Better than 12 feet of snow," he responded.

We both laughed.

So maybe there is a distinct flavor to a region after all.

I thought that as I passed...

...the Mobil Station...

...Toys R Us...

...Wendy's...

and

...Freaking Wal-Mart.

Corporate America has even invaded the plains.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie