A New Comic on the Scene


So, my wife and I went to a Women & Children's Hospital of Buffalo fundraiser tonight at a comedy club on Sheridan Drive. The place was packed and it was wonderful to see a lot of the people who've become friends over the years in the Family-Centered Care Program.

I was very relaxed. So relaxed, in fact, that I told a truly great nurse, Barb, that I should do a set before the regular comics came on. We laughed and Barb mentioned that I'd probably do very well.

A half an hour later, I was sitting with Kathy at a table near the stage when Rob Leederman, who owns the club and is the funnyman on 97 Rock.

"I hear you want to do a set," he said. "Think you can?"

Why the hell not?

"I'll give you five minutes," he said. "I guarantee you that it'll be the longest five minutes of your life."

It was uncomfortable for me to tell him that I wasn't concerned in the least. I'd always wanted to do it. This was my chance. I wouldn't fail.

I headed outside and tried to figure out a few stories. I was on in 10 minutes after the host warmed up the crowd. Well over a hundred people. On stage, lights, a microphone, was I crazy?

I had a plan though. Who did I know who was funny and would carry me through?

I told Jeff stories from Oh Brother!

Let me tell you, the material carries well from the written word to the stage.

The laughs were like music to my ears.

I went on for 15 minutes. I got laughs courtesy of Jeff, at the expense of Kathy, and remembering a couple of Dad's classic jokes.

I could have done a lot more. The harder they laughed the more energy I got.

Absolutely crazy.

The next comic took the stage as I headed to my seat listening to the applause.

"There goes Cliff, just trying out material for his upcoming HBO special. Are you kidding me?"

So, I got that done. I don't have to wonder if I can handle stand-up comedy.

The only problem being that I want to do it again.

Like tomorrow night.

It was an absolute blast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie