A Mental Health Day

Far be it from me to pick on a Yankee, but it turns out that Jorge asked out of the lineup so that he had a day to 'get his head straight.'

Wow...can you imagine how many people would be calling in today if that were a legitimate excuse?

I'm not sure where the drive to be available came from, but I do remember my father saying that a huge part of life is handled just by showing up.

"Show up and be a Fuzzy," he told me.

That advice has worked out good for me throughout the years, and it has forced me to show up even when I really, really wanted to stay at home.

And I know I speak for my brothers and sisters when I say that such drive to be available has really sort of been a curse.

For many, many years I never even considered taking a vacation day. Even lately, I've forced myself to do some of the stuff that takes a lot of doing even though I wasn't really physically ready for it.

Yet there is a tremendous shift in the thinking of the rest of the country. Howard Stern is mad at one of his former staff members who quit a decent job for the chance to bike across the country. The kid is 28 years old but believes he deserves the time to find himself.

Find yourself?

I say find yourself on your own time. Get up and go to work, otherwise. Don't feel well? Suck it up. Don't think you're being treated fairly? Speak up...and if doesn't change, be a man and quit and find something else. Need a day to clear your head? Count it down to Saturday...in the meantime...show up and offer something other than a piss or a moan.

I'm not sure if what I'm speaking about is a reason for concern in the country. Perhaps we've lost a little of our edge, finding ourselves.

Bruce had something to say about it, of course:

Early in the morning factory whistle blows. Man rises from bed and puts on his clothes. Man takes his lunch, walks out into the morning light. It's the work, the work, just the working life.

Through the mansions of fear, through the mansions of pain, I seen my daddy walking through them factory gates in the rain. Factory takes his hearing, factory gives him life. The work, the work, just the working life.

End of the day factory whistle cries. Men walk through these gates with death in their eyes. And you just better believe boy someone's gonna get hurt tonight. It's the working, just the working, just the working life.


The lines that get me?

Through the masnions of fear, through the mansions of pain...daddy walking through them factory gates in the rain.

Man, I wish I could write like that...but daddy kept walking through the gates because despite the fact that the mansions he would be afforded would only be those of fear and pain, he needed to show up.

I see a bunch of hardworking Americans still punching the clock.

But every once in awhile...I hear about someone looking to find themselves.

Ridiculous.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty