Happy Birthday Matthew!

Well, well, well...Matt is 18 today. Happy Birthday. I can distinctly recall the first time I laid eyes on him and the quiet confidence that he seemed to carry. Even as a child, he was too proud to let you see him sweat and was easily the calmest, sharpest, well-behaved kid you'd ever seen. He never truly was a baby...and it always caught me off-guard.

That's why it was so aggravating when he pooped his pants at the age of four and with his mother far away, pushed me into parent duty.

I wanted to kill him.

Through his teenage years, he's been a dream to have around the house. Never trouble, always responsible, usually in a pretty good mood. A lot of parents don't say that as their son turns 18. I can. Matt is a great kid with a lot going for him.

And he still has the quiet confidence and an eternal optimism that drives me crazy.

He picked the Bills to go 12 and 4 last year. If you ran into him today he'd tell you that the last-place Oakland A's are going to shock the world. He'd convince you that next year is the Sabres year and that the Bills might go unbeaten.

We fight every morning about our teams, and although it sounds a lot like shouting, I'm sure he'd tell you that our daily exchanges are fun.

Recently it was said that I don't say a lot positive to Matt about how he chips in around the house or how he's been going about his business.

Well, strike that...

Matt is a great kid who will continue to grow to be a very intelligent, responsible man. The world is there for the taking for him, and if I am critical it is only in light of the fact that I know the world will kick the shit out of you.

The blue skies turn suddenly dark and grey and you really need to be ready to ride out the storm.

My gift to you today, dipshit, is in knowing that I'm behind you every step of the way.

Usually on his birthday we play a one-on-one basketball game. I really believe that he feels he's going to win this year because the old man ain't what he used to be...

...but be forewarned...

The A's won't win the World Series. The Sabres aren't going to win the Cup...the Bills will miss the playoffs one more time and...

...I will whip your ass in our annual game

And

One more thing...

...no matter what you want to do with your life...

...I'm right behind you with the whip.

Happy Birthday.

I'm proud of you.

Comments

Very nice...

Happy Birthday Matt! Love you!
Corleone said…
He's a great kid who is always respectful and always goes out of his way...Happy Birthday, Matt....love you very much.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie