What're You Giving Up?

Being a practicing Catholic, Ash Wednesday has always been a huge day. It is the day when ashes are applied to the forehead and then some sort of sacrifice is made in order to garner favor with the Lord our Savior, or to ensure that the groundhog sees his shadow and we have an early spring.

I'm not sure, I get it all balled up.

Somehow, somewhere I just made somebody cringe with my joke, but it's a joke! I always took the Easter sacrifice as something to be practiced. Not sure what I will give up this year. After all, Charlie Sheen and I have been on the wagon since mid-January so the clean living part has been handled.

My Dad used to give up watermelon every year.

That's funny. It truly isn't in season right now. Not sure why that joke was always in his Ash Wednesday program, but this is the first year I have failed to hear it.

Someone please let me know that you are giving up watermelon this year. Catch me off-guard with it so I laugh, like I did every time Dad said it.

What I hate about Ash Wednesday are the people who get their ashes and then walk around all day with them on their forehead. Sort of a "look who is more religious than you" slap in the face. I get 'em, I wipe them right off.

Yet there are real sacrifices to be made. Some people fast for 40 days and 40 nights.

Uh, not happening here.

I once had a nun tell me that I speak of my love for pasta a lot and that perhaps I should give that up for the Lenten season.

She was a little pissed when I laughed in her face.

It all conjures up the guilt and regret that was associated with my Catholic school past. It also comes on a day when 21 priests...in the Philadelphia area (I told Cliff Lee to watch out)...were suspended for misconduct.

The rules of the church can certainly sometimes be confusing. Yet I will continue to try and be a better human being as we head towards Easter.

Does anyone know?

Did the groundhog see his shadow?

Comments

I LOVE Ash Wednesday, for some reason! I always think about the sacrifice and how miserably I fail to succeed in attempting my fast... I gave up swearing again - a dollar a swear word... usually about $80 by Palm Sunday. This is one of my favorite seasons...

I failed to go to church today, but Mom and I both wondered who had gone... guess you're out?

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty