What It's All About


The above photo is a shot of my Uncle Lenny and Aunt Carolyn. They were in the hospital this week at the same time. While battling their own separate health issues they were able to share a moment and mug for the camera.

One of my cousins posted the photo on Facebook this morning and I gasped when I looked at it.

That's what its all about, I thought.

And I could almost hear my Aunt's voice in my head as she spoke to my Uncle years and years ago. It wasn't anything specific that I remembered, just her calling out to him.

"Leonard."

And then I thought of the life that they built. The kids, the grand kids, the great-grand kids. The laughs, the tears, the arguments, the nights together, more laughs. (That's a funny ass family)...and battling through it all together. Married. Joined. Partners in this part of the ride. Holding hands.

The past few years have been rough for them as they grow old together. There really should be more of a payoff for a life well-lived. The reward is hanging on to health, and worrying more about your partner than you do yourself.

But the success is in the journey. My cousins and the immediate family are out of their heads with worry this week. I can see it in their messages. I know that they are tired. I wish I was there for them other than being there in spirit.

Yet we are all moving together in sync with what we know as a family, and through the years of love and laughter.

And it is what its all about.

One moment in a hospital room. Two people not wanting to be away from one another for even one more minute. All of the crap in life forgotten as they look to the camera.

Carolyn and Leonard.

Leonard and Carolyn.

And the unbelievable life and legacy that they created and shared.

Of course, there's much more to be done. Aunt Carolyn was moved to rehab right after the photo was snapped. Uncle Lenny had a fine surgery and will knock the next one out of the park as well.

I know one thing for sure:

Their love will endure.

Comments

deafjeff said…
Good people who did it the right way. Here's hoping for quick recoveries so they can get home together.
Corleone said…
No comment other than you nailed it, Cliff. We are the lucky ones.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie