Thank You to the Readers

A review that meant the world to me:

Cliff,

As an avid reader I read a wide variety of books. My favorite books are generally nonfiction accounts of people who have survived life's struggles and end up stronger and happier in the end. These days I often find it difficult to turn on the evening news to see how horribly people treat each other in the world, our country, and even small towns like North Collins. I had wanted to pick up “Oh Brother” for months, but the thought of reading about the anguish of your beautiful sisters, meatball munching brothers and loving parents wasn't something I was looking forward to. I saw it as another reason to be saddened about this world we live in.

Once I opened the cover, I realized I was Wrong with a capital W. It truly is a Celebration of Life. Jeff was put on this earth to help your family love and laugh. He fulfilled his duties and then some. He brought all of us to tears with his crazy antics. You were fortunate enough to be brought to tears by his genuine love of his family and life. You did an incredible job balancing the heartache with the gut-busting joy brought to everyone he came in touch with. Sure there are times a reader will break down reading about what Jeff and your poor family had to endure, but the love and laughter will stick with them for far longer and have an amazing effect on their outlook on life, family, and friends.

I too am a Springsteen fan. Not a“Fuzzy-Fanatic”, but still a pretty big fan. My favorite album is his darkest, Nebraska. It's kind of funny, from the first time I heard “Johnny 99”, I always thought of your brother John for some reason. My number one song on the album is “Reason to Believe”. Had the Boss met Jeff, he probably wouldn't have written the song or produced the album. Too much struggle and sadness. Jeff would have told him to get a grip and write something happy, maybe name the album
A-ha-a-ha-a-ha-a-ha-a-ha . If Bruce did rewrite “Reason to Believe” the versus would definitely change. The first verse would include Corinne's battle with breast cancer and kicking it's ass to the curb. The second verse with tell of Jake's successfully surgery and the happiness everyone felt when it was over. The third verse would dig into the incredible life and times of Jeff Fuzzy, and the joy and love he was born to share. The final verse is still to be written, individually by your loving mother, sisters, and brothers. Your Dad is writing his verse with Jeff now, and it's a happy one.

The way I see it, someone had to prepare God for your Dad. Who better than Jeff?

Your Dad nervously straightens his tie like Rodney Dangerfield as he rings the doorbell for the Pearly Gates. God answers the door and says “Bah, come on in”. Now relaxed your Dad walks into a large, but cozy kitchen and sees Jeff entertaining and chatting with a couple gentlemen. They of course are almost rolling on the floor with laughter. He overhears Jeff say “You think I'm something, wait until you meet my old man”. Your Dad walks up to Jeff and gives him a fatherly embrace and a kiss on each cheek. He sits down in front of six of the most fantastic stuffed peppers ever created and smiles. He then turns to Jeff and says “ What kind of host are you? Mix a martini for Mr. Sinatra and grab a coffee for Dimaggio”.

This book needs to be read by anyone who could use a boost of hope, faith, love, and laughter. I plan on reading it once a year for as long as I can read. If my eyes fail me, I'll have the kids and grandkids read it to me. This is by far the most uplifting book I have ever read.

Jan Wif Mathis

Comments

deafjeff said…
Just awesome Wif. Incredibly well said.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie