DNR

Man, they scare the hell out of you before an operation, huh? I suppose its the anesthesia that poses the problem, but I'm heading in to get my knee scoped tomorrow and the papers that I had to sign are all about what the hell happens if something goes wrong.

The one form was what should happen in the event of a huge problem. The health proxy even recommended that I check the box that says they will do all they can to save me.

I actually could have checked the other box!!!

Given the choice, bring me back.

Yet my wife also had to sign the form and I figured that she would be a little crazy with such a thought. I asked her to sign in the witness box and she did it quickly.

"You sure I chose the right option there?" I asked.

"Don't be stupid," she said.

Of course, I fully expect to be watching Judge Judy with an ice pack on my leg tomorrow night, but Michael Jackson just thought he was going to catch a little nap too.

The difference being, of course, I am not administering my own anesthesia.

Yet I don't think there's ever been a person alive who didn't consider it when faced with an operation. I am not even feeling comfortable joking about it, and let's face it, I joke about every freaking thing.

Still it calls to mind a buddy of mine who's wife shattered her ankle and had to have immediate surgery to fix it. This guy stopped the doctor as they rolled his pain-stricken wife into the operating room.

"I really need to sign that DNR form," he told the doc, providing his wife with a much-needed laugh before she went under.

We've all been out for awhile, right? Things seem weird when you are introduced back into the light of day.

I just hope Judge Judy isn't a repeat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie