Rico!

It had to be about 1976. The Sabres were great. Their players were superstars. I was a huge fan of the game, the team, and most especially The French Connection. Rick Martin, Rene Robert and Gilbert Perrault.

Perrault was everyone's favorite, but Martin was the best goal scorer on the line. He had the best shot, and the go between the legs of the defenseman deke move. I used to pretend I was Rico when we played hockey in the driveway.

Rick Martin died today at the age of 59. While I thought all of the usual things...too young, such a shame, you never know, celebrate the kingdom of your own days...I also thought about the open practice back in 1976.

We got into the open practice for free. It was just Mom, John and me. We stayed all through practice with some of our other friends back in North Collins, and when the practice ended we were allowed to get autographs.

In a case of 'it would never happen today' the players just stood in the hallway, mingling with the fans. They signed autographs for about an hour, and chatted up all the children. Of course, John and I were frantically searching out the members of The French Connection and we were fired up when we spotted Robert and Rico standing behind a small table.

We got their autographs and shook their hands, but Perrault was nowhere to be found and we were a tad disappointed.

Rick Martin put his arm on my brother John's shoulder and whispered in his ear. John's face broke into a smile, and then he grabbed me and whispered into my ear.

"Rico says that Perrault is going to sneak out that door down there and get into a black pickup truck. He told me not to tell anyone but you."

John and I edged away from the scene. We headed down the hallway and out the back door. We stood in front of the black pickup and sure enough, a few moments later, Perrault came out a side door, and seeing us, he put his hand to his forehead. He looked around to be sure we were the only one's out there.

And that is how I got Gilbert Perrault's autograph for the first time.

Rick Martin set him up.

RIP Rico...from a former Sabres fan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie