Follow Your Dreams....Or Not


This week I was honored to speak at a great school...North Collins High School. I was asked to address the honor society students, and it was so weird to be back in the auditorium. As I sat in the chair, waiting for the students to join me on the stage as they were honored, I wondered a lot about what I might say.

I wanted them to laugh. That was for sure, so I relied heavily on my brother Jeff, telling just one story that was in the book. It had them rolling for sure.

I wanted them to think. I told them that life isn't just about making your dreams come true and that life would shatter their heart somewhere along the way, and that the trick was moving forward. Suck it up and tough it out.

I wanted them to laugh some more. I told them about raising kids, and falling asleep during Judge Judy. I asked them to be nice to their parents.

Of course, I wanted them to continue to chase their dreams in light of their honor. I was proud of each of them. I told them to keep working because the key to success is hard work. No matter what you do.

And then I told them that following their dreams, while admirable will most likely result in their dreams not coming true.

That was supposed to be funny. I told them they were just as likely to end up living in a van down by the river (thank you, Chris Farley).

Someone said I swore.

Perhaps. I remember saying hell. Don't remember saying, 'shit.' Rumor is I did.

It could have been worse.

There is one rule that I have when making a speech: make sure everyone has a good time.

Got there.

Just celebrating life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie