Sunrise


I've been watching the sun rise a lot lately. This one is from Florida, of course, but it sits on my computer as my screensaver for the simple reason that I need to remember that another day is dawning and that it would pay to keep moving.

I've been busy lately too - a couple of Yankee games, a couple of Bruce concerts, two horribly-played golf outings, family parties, pain, pain and more pain.

I often think of a line from U2 where Bono writes - "Some sunny days you wish it were raining."

Despite the sun these days, it feels like it's been constantly raining, but lo and behold, in the middle of not being able to sleep again due to the mind-blowing powers of recall and grief, here comes the sun.

Here comes the sun.

I sat in the car looking at my boys for a long time the other day. I saw my mannerisms, my wife's mannerisms, their own little special personality quirks, and the idea that there are days and days ahead of them where they will learn, laugh, live, love and God help them, hurt.

And I thought of the beautiful sun rising up to greet them. When it comes right down to it - we don't have many days - Lord knows that we shouldn't spend much time wishing for the rain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty